image

Friday, 1 May 2015

Survivor of deadly disease killing people in Akure tells his story

                               
The management of the University College Hospital (UCH), on Thursday described the recent mysterious deaths in Ode Irele, Ondo State, as a fallout of methanol contained in the local gin taken by the victims in the area.
One of the survivors of the Ode-Irele methanol poisoning, Mr. Olorunwa Jero, has recounted his ordeal in the throes of death.
Jero, a father of six, who is a vulcaniser, narrated his story thus
“By the time I was brought here, I had gone blind. I could not identify my wife, I could not identify anything. I did not even know when I arrived here.“But I thank God and the management and staff of University College Hospital, UCH, for bailing me out. I can see all of you here clearly. I can even identify the clothes each one of you is putting on.”
The victims were said to have taken the methanol while consuming a local gin.
Confirming that the toxin was detected in the blood and urine of the victims, Professor Temitope Alonge, Chief Medical Director, UCH, said the five victims were transferred to the teaching hospital on April 18 adding that they had regained their lost sight as a result of taking the chemical. Alonge, who said this while speaking with newsmen in Ibadan, warned people to be wary of taking local gin so as to avoid similar unpleasant experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment